DIY of the Week: Glass Jar Herb Garden
If you’ve always wanted to grow your own herbs but didn’t know how to start, this tutorial from Buzzfeed is super easy and uses materials you probably already have. It’s Eco-friendly in that it utilizes old glass jars, and you won’t need to buy pre-packaged herbs from the store anymore. Is this something you would try out? Here’s how it’s done.
- Old glass jars or wide mouth mason jars with the labels removed.
- Masking Tape
- Black chalk paint
- pain brush
- Rocks, gravel, pebbles, or marbles
- Poitting soil, preferably moisture control
- Herb seeds of choice.
- Make sure your jar is clean and dry. Use masking tape to tape off a rectangular section on the side of the jar where you want your chalkboard label to go.
- Apply chalkboard paint to the rectangle and let dry for one hour.
- Remove masking tape, and write the herb you are planting in chalk on the label.
- Add 1-2 inches of rocks or pebbles to the jar. Fill with potting mix leaving some space at the top, about 1 inch.
- Plant herb seeds and top with a small handful of potting mix. Lightly water the top of soil.
- Place indoor near a window or a place that gets plenty of sunlight. Follow care instructions on the seed packages. Enjoy!